Home » Separation anxiety

Separation anxiety

The Victorian State Government has released a report that suggests the separation of Sunbury from the City of Hume should not proceed.

 

Local Government Minister Natalie Hutchins released the Sunbury Hume Transition Auditors report last week, which outlines a number of recommendations on the Sunbury Project, and has deemed the separation not financially viable.

 

Transition Auditors Frank Vincent and John Watson were appointed in April to advise on the implications of the proposed separation.

 

Mr Watson and Mr Vincent expressed concern about the financial viability of a new Sunbury Council, advising that a separation would risk Sunbury residents facing significantly higher rate increases, a reduction in services and significant delays in providing much needed community facilities

 

If a new municipality is created, it must be viable and sustainable in its own right, the report said.

 

Ms Hutchins said the State Government would now consider the details of the report carefully.  

 

“We want the best outcome for the residents of Sunbury and Hume. Unfortunately the previous Liberal Government did not share the same concern.

 

“I want to thank all of the residents from Sunbury and Hume who have made submissions on the separation proposal and assure them that the views of the community are being taken into account.”

 

Hume Mayor Cr Adem Atmaca welcomed the report, but urged the State Government to avoid further delays and reach a decision on the important issue as soon as possible.

 

“It is now important for the State Government to make a decision as a matter of urgency so council can break the cycle of speculation and uncertainty about this issue.”

 

The Transition Auditors report is available at  www.delwp.vic.gov.au

Digital Editions


  • Greater Geraldton bridge lauded

    Greater Geraldton bridge lauded

    City of Greater Geraldton bridge replacement project wins prestigious engineering award Inovative engineering has earned the recently completed Nangetty-Walkaway Road Bridge Replacement Project top honours…

More News

  • Big attraction for tiny town

    Big attraction for tiny town

    Dozens of tourists have created history as the first passengers in decades to arrive in the tiny southern Queensland town of Thallon by rail. Excited passengers travelled for hours on…

  • Together Butchulla Talk

    Together Butchulla Talk

    A new Indigenous book celebrating the Butchulla language and local animals was launched at Hervey Bay Library earlier this month with storytime, language, dance and art activities for families to…

  • New Logan arena

    New Logan arena

    An upgraded arena for equestrians has officially opened at Skerman Park in North Maclean. Logan City Council delivered the $928,000 project, which includes a weatherproof roof, to support members of…

  • Noosa mastering AI

    Noosa mastering AI

    Digital Hub is trying to help Noosa locals get the most out of AI. Mastering AI can make life easier in countless ways. From planning weekly meals with specific dietary…

  • Change in the weather

    Change in the weather

    AUSSIE FLOOD RESCUE It’s obvious to everybody that we are seeing weather changes. It appears to be more erratic and frequent than ever before. Local government bodies are plagued by…

  • Dandycon set to return

    Dandycon set to return

    Dandy Con, Greater Dandenong’s much loved comic and pop culture festival, returns on Saturday 11 April 2026 between 11am–4pm, bigger than ever. This free, all ages event fills Dandenong Library,…

  • A creative future for Kingston

    A creative future for Kingston

    The community has been invited to help shape Kingston’s creative and cultural future. Kingston residents are being invited to help finalise the city’s cultural roadmap, with the Draft Creative and…

  • Tweed residents gunking up wastewater

    Tweed residents gunking up wastewater

    Tweed Shire Council is urging residents to rethink what they flush down the toilet and pour down the drain, after revealing that crews remove around 156 tonnes of rubbish and…

  • In memory of Chris Quilkey

    In memory of Chris Quilkey

    It was with great sadness that we learned that former Blacktown City Deputy Mayor and Councillor Chris Quilkey has passed away. First and foremost, our thoughts are with Chris’s family,…

  • Unit demolished as Ipswich flood recovery continues

    Unit demolished as Ipswich flood recovery continues

    Ipswich Mayor Teresa Harding has welcomed the demolition of Mihi Grove, a flood-hit 42-unit complex in Brassall purchased as part of the Queensland and Australian Government’s Resilient Homes Fund Voluntary…