Home » Bendigo pushes pause on e-scooter extension

Bendigo pushes pause on e-scooter extension

The City of Greater Bendigo has decided to pause plans for an extended 12-month e-scooter trial as the sector prepares for significant legislative and industry changes affecting share hire schemes across Victoria.

Earlier this year, Council approved a 12-month trial extension to expand e-scooter operations in urban Bendigo. Beam Mobility (Beam) participated in the initial 12-month trial launched in May 2024, which aimed to improve connections between urban precincts and encourage more sustainable transport choices for short trips.

Beam’s contract was extended temporarily this year after the trial ended to provide a service while the City undertook a procurement process for the second 12-month trial. Beam has chosen not to apply for the next contract process beyond the temporary extension.

The micro-mobility share hire industry is currently undergoing considerable change, with new Victorian Government safety technologies and regulatory requirements expected in late 2025. These include a pre-approval scheme for operators, with requirements such as helmet compliance, cognitive testing, Bluetooth Beacon technology for designated parking, and footpath detection technology.

While a few of these requirements may not be mandatory for regional areas, the City’s preference is to better understand the changing requirements in the first instance.

Manager Strategic Planning Anthony Petherbridge said it was the right decision to pause the trial with so much uncertainty in the industry.

“During the procurement process, it became clear that the industry is navigating a period of transition, with operators preparing for new Victorian Government pre-approval requirements expected later this year,” Mr Petherbridge said.

“To ensure any future trial is successful and aligns with best practice, the City has decided to pause the process while these changes take effect. Over the next six months, we will undertake a market analysis and consider renewed procurement options once the new regulatory framework is established at state level. We remain open to new and innovative opportunities for share hire schemes in the future.

“If a future trial proceeds, we will place greater emphasis on the inclusion of e-bikes and only consider the Department of Transport and Planning’s pre-approved operators to ensure factors around community safety and compliance.

“The purpose of the trial has always been to provide residents and visitors with a sustainable, affordable, and convenient alternative mode of transport. We are grateful for the lessons learned from the initial trial, which informed recommendations for expanding the scheme to areas such as Golden Square, Long Gully, and White Hills, in line with our shared walking and cycling networks.

“The City would like to take this opportunity to thank Beam for its partnership in delivering the region’s first e-scooter share hire scheme and for its strong collaboration with City officers and community stakeholders. The trial in a small area of urban Bendigo demonstrated the potential for e-scooters to offer an alternative transport option for the community.”

Beam Mobility Chief of Staff Ross Vinten said since the launch in May 2024, riders have travelled nearly 90,000 kilometres, close to 55,000 trips.

“While the program has been well-received, ridership has been lower than expected and continuing the service is unfortunately not financially viable for us. We sincerely thank the City of Greater Bendigo, our loyal riders, and local businesses for their support, and our dedicated local Beam team for keeping the service running safely and reliably,” Mr Vinten said.

Beam’s temporary operations in urban Bendigo ended Thursday 23 October. Beam has notified its e-scooter riders via the Beam app.

Digital Editions


  • Greater Geraldton bridge lauded

    Greater Geraldton bridge lauded

    City of Greater Geraldton bridge replacement project wins prestigious engineering award Inovative engineering has earned the recently completed Nangetty-Walkaway Road Bridge Replacement Project top honours…

More News

  • Big attraction for tiny town

    Big attraction for tiny town

    Dozens of tourists have created history as the first passengers in decades to arrive in the tiny southern Queensland town of Thallon by rail. Excited passengers travelled for hours on…

  • Together Butchulla Talk

    Together Butchulla Talk

    A new Indigenous book celebrating the Butchulla language and local animals was launched at Hervey Bay Library earlier this month with storytime, language, dance and art activities for families to…

  • New Logan arena

    New Logan arena

    An upgraded arena for equestrians has officially opened at Skerman Park in North Maclean. Logan City Council delivered the $928,000 project, which includes a weatherproof roof, to support members of…

  • Noosa mastering AI

    Noosa mastering AI

    Digital Hub is trying to help Noosa locals get the most out of AI. Mastering AI can make life easier in countless ways. From planning weekly meals with specific dietary…

  • Change in the weather

    Change in the weather

    AUSSIE FLOOD RESCUE It’s obvious to everybody that we are seeing weather changes. It appears to be more erratic and frequent than ever before. Local government bodies are plagued by…

  • Dandycon set to return

    Dandycon set to return

    Dandy Con, Greater Dandenong’s much loved comic and pop culture festival, returns on Saturday 11 April 2026 between 11am–4pm, bigger than ever. This free, all ages event fills Dandenong Library,…

  • A creative future for Kingston

    A creative future for Kingston

    The community has been invited to help shape Kingston’s creative and cultural future. Kingston residents are being invited to help finalise the city’s cultural roadmap, with the Draft Creative and…

  • Tweed residents gunking up wastewater

    Tweed residents gunking up wastewater

    Tweed Shire Council is urging residents to rethink what they flush down the toilet and pour down the drain, after revealing that crews remove around 156 tonnes of rubbish and…

  • In memory of Chris Quilkey

    In memory of Chris Quilkey

    It was with great sadness that we learned that former Blacktown City Deputy Mayor and Councillor Chris Quilkey has passed away. First and foremost, our thoughts are with Chris’s family,…

  • Unit demolished as Ipswich flood recovery continues

    Unit demolished as Ipswich flood recovery continues

    Ipswich Mayor Teresa Harding has welcomed the demolition of Mihi Grove, a flood-hit 42-unit complex in Brassall purchased as part of the Queensland and Australian Government’s Resilient Homes Fund Voluntary…