Home » Construction requirements the sensible approach

Construction requirements the sensible approach

The Western Australia Local Government Association (WALGA) has announced their support for new special construction requirements for new homes built in bushfire prone areas recently detailed by the state government.

Announced at the start of May, the Fire and Emergency Services Commissioner would map all bushfire prone areas that are to be automatically incorporated into town planning schemes.

WALGA President Mayor Troy Pickard said the move by State Government was in line with the Perth Hills bushfire Inquiry’s recommendation that the State Government take responsibility for declaring bushfire prone areas.

“It would be difficult to imagine anyone who could object to the implementation of these requirements for the construction of new homes in bushfire prone areas.”

“It is the responsible approach to helping ensure that the risk is minimised as much as possible for both the safety of the community and the emergency services personnel in having to contain outbreaks.

“The additional requirements may increase the cost of construction of new homes in these areas but the price of not taking these measures will eventually be counted in lives lost.”

The new scheme provisions will be introduced through regulations from May 1, 2015 and will not require local schemes to be individually amended.

Mayor Pickard said that he was hopeful that the State Government would also show leadership in other aspects of managing the threat of bushfire, in particular the outcomes of the review of the three emergency services Acts.

A paper on the consolidation of the Acts by the Department of Fire and Emergency Services is currently open for public comment until July 31.

“A key intent of the paper to effectively ensure all individuals and groups take responsibility for bushfire mitigation on their land is a positive step forward,” Mayor Pickard said.

“Relative to the costs of these mitigation works, Local Government is hopeful that the State will show leadership and recognise that if these tasks were to fall solely to Local Government, it would cost the sector $50 million per annum to implement.

“It is imperative that new funds are provided to enable the additional responsibilities as proposed to be effectively implemented.

“The existing emergency services levy is the most appropriate and equitable mechanism to raise funds to achieve this.”

Digital Editions


  • Greater Geraldton bridge lauded

    Greater Geraldton bridge lauded

    City of Greater Geraldton bridge replacement project wins prestigious engineering award Inovative engineering has earned the recently completed Nangetty-Walkaway Road Bridge Replacement Project top honours…

More News

  • Big attraction for tiny town

    Big attraction for tiny town

    Dozens of tourists have created history as the first passengers in decades to arrive in the tiny southern Queensland town of Thallon by rail. Excited passengers travelled for hours on…

  • Together Butchulla Talk

    Together Butchulla Talk

    A new Indigenous book celebrating the Butchulla language and local animals was launched at Hervey Bay Library earlier this month with storytime, language, dance and art activities for families to…

  • New Logan arena

    New Logan arena

    An upgraded arena for equestrians has officially opened at Skerman Park in North Maclean. Logan City Council delivered the $928,000 project, which includes a weatherproof roof, to support members of…

  • Noosa mastering AI

    Noosa mastering AI

    Digital Hub is trying to help Noosa locals get the most out of AI. Mastering AI can make life easier in countless ways. From planning weekly meals with specific dietary…

  • Change in the weather

    Change in the weather

    AUSSIE FLOOD RESCUE It’s obvious to everybody that we are seeing weather changes. It appears to be more erratic and frequent than ever before. Local government bodies are plagued by…

  • Dandycon set to return

    Dandycon set to return

    Dandy Con, Greater Dandenong’s much loved comic and pop culture festival, returns on Saturday 11 April 2026 between 11am–4pm, bigger than ever. This free, all ages event fills Dandenong Library,…

  • A creative future for Kingston

    A creative future for Kingston

    The community has been invited to help shape Kingston’s creative and cultural future. Kingston residents are being invited to help finalise the city’s cultural roadmap, with the Draft Creative and…

  • Tweed residents gunking up wastewater

    Tweed residents gunking up wastewater

    Tweed Shire Council is urging residents to rethink what they flush down the toilet and pour down the drain, after revealing that crews remove around 156 tonnes of rubbish and…

  • In memory of Chris Quilkey

    In memory of Chris Quilkey

    It was with great sadness that we learned that former Blacktown City Deputy Mayor and Councillor Chris Quilkey has passed away. First and foremost, our thoughts are with Chris’s family,…

  • Unit demolished as Ipswich flood recovery continues

    Unit demolished as Ipswich flood recovery continues

    Ipswich Mayor Teresa Harding has welcomed the demolition of Mihi Grove, a flood-hit 42-unit complex in Brassall purchased as part of the Queensland and Australian Government’s Resilient Homes Fund Voluntary…