Home » State wide upgrade of e-waste facilities

State wide upgrade of e-waste facilities

The Victorian Government has declared a ban on e-waste effective from 1 July 2019. 

Following this date, e-waste will not be accepted in landfill sites across the state but must instead be recycled. 

A $16.5 million state-wide upgrade E-waste Infrastructure Support Program, announced by Minister for Energy, Environment and Climate Change Lily D’Ambrosio MP last April, is being rolled out across the state. 

Three of Baw Baw Shire Council’s transfer stations will soon be upgraded to accept and recycle e-waste with a $272,000 grant from Sustainability Victoria.

The funding will facilitate design, fabrication and construction of an e-waste processing and storage shed at each site.

E-waste includes any electrical equipment with a power cord or battery with parts that have been discarded as waste without the intention of re-use. 

This includes everything from old mobile phones, computers, audio devices, refrigerators and other white goods, hair dryers, TVs, heaters, and air-conditioners.

Councillor Darren Wallace, said, “E-waste items contain both hazardous materials which can harm the environment and human health, and valuable materials such as gold, silver, copper, nickel and zinc which are well worth recovering.”

Councillor Peter Kostos, said, “The upgrades will increase community access to best practise e-waste disposal points and expand Council’s capacity and capability to safely collect and store the increasing volumes of e-waste.”

Baw Baw Shire Council was one of 76 Council’s to receive funding towards e-waste management infrastructure with 130 sites identified for upgrading.


Digital Editions


  • Greater Geraldton bridge lauded

    Greater Geraldton bridge lauded

    City of Greater Geraldton bridge replacement project wins prestigious engineering award Inovative engineering has earned the recently completed Nangetty-Walkaway Road Bridge Replacement Project top honours…

More News

  • Big attraction for tiny town

    Big attraction for tiny town

    Dozens of tourists have created history as the first passengers in decades to arrive in the tiny southern Queensland town of Thallon by rail. Excited passengers travelled for hours on…

  • Together Butchulla Talk

    Together Butchulla Talk

    A new Indigenous book celebrating the Butchulla language and local animals was launched at Hervey Bay Library earlier this month with storytime, language, dance and art activities for families to…

  • New Logan arena

    New Logan arena

    An upgraded arena for equestrians has officially opened at Skerman Park in North Maclean. Logan City Council delivered the $928,000 project, which includes a weatherproof roof, to support members of…

  • Noosa mastering AI

    Noosa mastering AI

    Digital Hub is trying to help Noosa locals get the most out of AI. Mastering AI can make life easier in countless ways. From planning weekly meals with specific dietary…

  • Change in the weather

    Change in the weather

    AUSSIE FLOOD RESCUE It’s obvious to everybody that we are seeing weather changes. It appears to be more erratic and frequent than ever before. Local government bodies are plagued by…

  • Dandycon set to return

    Dandycon set to return

    Dandy Con, Greater Dandenong’s much loved comic and pop culture festival, returns on Saturday 11 April 2026 between 11am–4pm, bigger than ever. This free, all ages event fills Dandenong Library,…

  • A creative future for Kingston

    A creative future for Kingston

    The community has been invited to help shape Kingston’s creative and cultural future. Kingston residents are being invited to help finalise the city’s cultural roadmap, with the Draft Creative and…

  • Tweed residents gunking up wastewater

    Tweed residents gunking up wastewater

    Tweed Shire Council is urging residents to rethink what they flush down the toilet and pour down the drain, after revealing that crews remove around 156 tonnes of rubbish and…

  • In memory of Chris Quilkey

    In memory of Chris Quilkey

    It was with great sadness that we learned that former Blacktown City Deputy Mayor and Councillor Chris Quilkey has passed away. First and foremost, our thoughts are with Chris’s family,…

  • Unit demolished as Ipswich flood recovery continues

    Unit demolished as Ipswich flood recovery continues

    Ipswich Mayor Teresa Harding has welcomed the demolition of Mihi Grove, a flood-hit 42-unit complex in Brassall purchased as part of the Queensland and Australian Government’s Resilient Homes Fund Voluntary…