Home » Queensland councils warn against disaster funding cuts

Queensland councils warn against disaster funding cuts

Local councils have warned the Abbott Government not to abandon Queensland communities by withdrawing much of the Federal funding support for towns and regions hit by cyclones and other natural disasters.

Mayors have teamed together to fight proposed changes that will see the loss of potentially billions of dollars in Federal funding for flood recovery and reconstruction.

The proposals under Government consideration would cut the Federal share of disaster recovery funding from 75 percent to 50 percent.

Disasters causing less than $2 million in damage would not receive any Federal assistance.

Local Government Association of Queensland President Margaret de Wit said the Productivity Commission proposals would represent a ‘massive cost shift’ and allow the Federal Government to avoid a large part of its responsibility to help communities struggling in the wake of cyclones and other disasters.

“Communities need to realise the impact of these proposed changes and that if the Federal Government accepts them they and their local councils will be left to find other ways to pay for what are always hefty damage bills.

“The community will be left with an ugly choice: either pay more for reconstruction or be forced to leave large parts of their disaster-hit towns and regions in ruins for months until they can be repaired.’’

She said the current disaster funding system was sound, efficient and in little need of reform.

“What we are seeing here are changes that might look good on a bureaucrat’s whiteboard but would have dire consequences in regional communities in Queensland.”

Cr de Wit said the Government had dragged its feet on the issue while councils had been patient and diligent in ensuring the Productivity Commission and other agencies had all information relevant to the inquiry.

“Whatever the Government decides will have a profound effect on council budgets so they need to know where they stand as soon as possible.

“If councils are in for additional costs in regard to their response to natural disasters they need to factor those costs in now.’’

Digital Editions


  • Greater Geraldton bridge lauded

    Greater Geraldton bridge lauded

    City of Greater Geraldton bridge replacement project wins prestigious engineering award Inovative engineering has earned the recently completed Nangetty-Walkaway Road Bridge Replacement Project top honours…

More News

  • Big attraction for tiny town

    Big attraction for tiny town

    Dozens of tourists have created history as the first passengers in decades to arrive in the tiny southern Queensland town of Thallon by rail. Excited passengers travelled for hours on…

  • Together Butchulla Talk

    Together Butchulla Talk

    A new Indigenous book celebrating the Butchulla language and local animals was launched at Hervey Bay Library earlier this month with storytime, language, dance and art activities for families to…

  • New Logan arena

    New Logan arena

    An upgraded arena for equestrians has officially opened at Skerman Park in North Maclean. Logan City Council delivered the $928,000 project, which includes a weatherproof roof, to support members of…

  • Noosa mastering AI

    Noosa mastering AI

    Digital Hub is trying to help Noosa locals get the most out of AI. Mastering AI can make life easier in countless ways. From planning weekly meals with specific dietary…

  • Change in the weather

    Change in the weather

    AUSSIE FLOOD RESCUE It’s obvious to everybody that we are seeing weather changes. It appears to be more erratic and frequent than ever before. Local government bodies are plagued by…

  • Dandycon set to return

    Dandycon set to return

    Dandy Con, Greater Dandenong’s much loved comic and pop culture festival, returns on Saturday 11 April 2026 between 11am–4pm, bigger than ever. This free, all ages event fills Dandenong Library,…

  • A creative future for Kingston

    A creative future for Kingston

    The community has been invited to help shape Kingston’s creative and cultural future. Kingston residents are being invited to help finalise the city’s cultural roadmap, with the Draft Creative and…

  • Tweed residents gunking up wastewater

    Tweed residents gunking up wastewater

    Tweed Shire Council is urging residents to rethink what they flush down the toilet and pour down the drain, after revealing that crews remove around 156 tonnes of rubbish and…

  • In memory of Chris Quilkey

    In memory of Chris Quilkey

    It was with great sadness that we learned that former Blacktown City Deputy Mayor and Councillor Chris Quilkey has passed away. First and foremost, our thoughts are with Chris’s family,…

  • Unit demolished as Ipswich flood recovery continues

    Unit demolished as Ipswich flood recovery continues

    Ipswich Mayor Teresa Harding has welcomed the demolition of Mihi Grove, a flood-hit 42-unit complex in Brassall purchased as part of the Queensland and Australian Government’s Resilient Homes Fund Voluntary…