Home » Bushfire season sparks up

Bushfire season sparks up

As summer fast approaches, councils across Australia are reminding residents to remain bushfire ready.

Already this year, fires have broken out in Victoria’s Macedon Ranges, when a controlled burn off near Lancefield jumped containment lines and burnt close to 3000 hectares of land.

A staff sharing agreement allowed staff with training in emergency and recovery management from Moorabool, Mt Alexander and Hepburn Shire Councils to assist local Macedon Shire staff in operating the Lancefield recovery.

Moorabool Mayor, Councillor Tatchell, speaking shortly after the fire occurred, said this staff sharing agreement is a vital arrangement for regional councils.

“Local government runs lean in the bush compared to our metro counterparts, so there’s little capacity for an individual shire to cope with emergencies the size of [the Lancefield fire] on their own.

“That’s why the Central Victorian Municipal Emergency Management Enhancement Group (MEMEG) was formed and this week’s cooperation is a great example of it working for the region’s benefit.”
October 13 marked the two-year anniversary of the start of the 2013 Blue Mountains bushfires, which saw the loss of 197 homes and damage to around 800 properties.  

Blue Mountains Mayor, Councillor Mark Greenhill, said the recovery process in the area is still underway.  

“There are many positive signs of community recovery, such as the rebuilding of homes, re-establishing household and community routine, and the regeneration of the bush; of course, these are not the sum total of recovery but they are a good foundation.

“Council acknowledges the recovery process is ongoing and will continue its support of bushfire affected residents every step of the way.

The Mayor said the anniversary should prompt the area to take stock of past events, and prepare for the future.

“Anniversaries can elicit mixed emotions. They are a powerful reminder of how hard it is and how long it takes for individuals and communities to recover from devastating natural disasters.

“Our shared efforts in disaster recovery so far have helped to deliver the necessary support to those who experienced first hand the single greatest challenge faced by the City and the Council, and better prepare us for any future natural disaster.”

Research from the Australian Red Cross shows that Australians are not well prepared for disaster – 92% of people don’t have a written disaster plan and more than half of the population hasn’t worked out how to protect treasured objects.

Throughout 18 to 25 October, the Red Cross held Disaster Preparedness Week, which called on residents to think ahead to bushfire season.

Australian Red Cross’ Emergency Services National Preparedness Coordinator, John Richardson, said having a plan in place could help lessen the impact if disaster is to occur.  

“Summer is about to start, bringing with it the increased risk of a natural disaster of cyclones, floods, storms and bushfires.

“Like every year, we have no idea what’s coming, or when. Now is the time to prepare.

“Emergencies happen and we can’t change that, but we can change how they affect our lives.”

Digital Editions


  • Paving the way sustainably

    Paving the way sustainably

    City of Moreton Bay is paving the way for more sustainable roads, partnering with infrastructure company Fulton Hogan in 2024/25 to facilitate a Queensland first…

More News

  • Surfcoast Ecotourism champs

    Surfcoast Ecotourism champs

    Ecotourism Australia is proud to announce that the Surf Coast Shire has officially earned ECO Destination Certification, formally recognising the region’s adherence to global best practice sustainable tourism and environmental…

  • Special transformative project for Bayside

    Special transformative project for Bayside

    In the northwest pocket of Bayside City Council’s municipal boundary, something very special is happening. Yalukit Willam Nature Reserve is a transformative project. The former golf course-to-nature reserve conversion is…

  • Big attraction for tiny town

    Big attraction for tiny town

    Dozens of tourists have created history as the first passengers in decades to arrive in the tiny southern Queensland town of Thallon by rail. Excited passengers travelled for hours on…

  • Together Butchulla Talk

    Together Butchulla Talk

    A new Indigenous book celebrating the Butchulla language and local animals was launched at Hervey Bay Library earlier this month with storytime, language, dance and art activities for families to…

  • New Logan arena

    New Logan arena

    An upgraded arena for equestrians has officially opened at Skerman Park in North Maclean. Logan City Council delivered the $928,000 project, which includes a weatherproof roof, to support members of…

  • Noosa mastering AI

    Noosa mastering AI

    Digital Hub is trying to help Noosa locals get the most out of AI. Mastering AI can make life easier in countless ways. From planning weekly meals with specific dietary…

  • Change in the weather

    Change in the weather

    AUSSIE FLOOD RESCUE It’s obvious to everybody that we are seeing weather changes. It appears to be more erratic and frequent than ever before. Local government bodies are plagued by…

  • Dandycon set to return

    Dandycon set to return

    Dandy Con, Greater Dandenong’s much loved comic and pop culture festival, returns on Saturday 11 April 2026 between 11am–4pm, bigger than ever. This free, all ages event fills Dandenong Library,…

  • A creative future for Kingston

    A creative future for Kingston

    The community has been invited to help shape Kingston’s creative and cultural future. Kingston residents are being invited to help finalise the city’s cultural roadmap, with the Draft Creative and…

  • Tweed residents gunking up wastewater

    Tweed residents gunking up wastewater

    Tweed Shire Council is urging residents to rethink what they flush down the toilet and pour down the drain, after revealing that crews remove around 156 tonnes of rubbish and…